NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Friday, March 15, 2013

Animals In Mysteries



I’m not a pet owner but I do love animals, especially dogs. I’ve always envied the special bond that pet owners have with their pets. So it only seems natural when animals show up in mysteries as the unofficial sidekicks of sleuths solving every kind of mystery from the magical to the small town whodunit. Whether or not a sleuth’s pet is an active participant in solving a mystery, or is just there to give moral support, pets play an important role in many mysteries. Here are some of my favorites.

Rex the Hamster (Stephanie Plum)-Though we only ever read about Rex running around in circles on the wheel in his cage, he’s always a source of comfort to Stephanie Plum when her life goes haywire, which is all the time.

Hedwig the Owl (Harry Potter)-Mostly used to deliver mail, Hedwig was a gift to Harry from Rubeus Hagrid and became Harry’s loyal companion in the wizarding world.

Backup the Pit Bull (Veronica Mars)-We never saw him very often, but beefy Backup was snarky teen sleuth Veronica Mars’ muscle and always had her back. BTW, if you’re a Veronica Mars fan, you’ll want to check this link out!

Fluffy the Chihuahua (Sierra Lavotini)-Fluffy was the child with fur of wisecracking exotic dancer/amateur sleuth Sierra Lavotini and could usually be found riding shotgun during her investigations.

Toby the Jack Russell Terrier (Peter Grant)-London police constable Peter Grant inherited Toby from a murder victim and Peter takes the magic sensing pooch with him when he becomes the apprentice of the last registered wizard in England.

Mahalia the Siamese Cat (Kendra Clayton)-Full disclosure: this is my mystery series and Mahalia actually belongs to Kendra’s landlady. In fact, Kendra and the cat hate each other. But Mahalia was once instrumental in helping Kendra solve a crime so I felt she deserved a mention.

What are your favorite animals in mysteries?

Later,
Angela ; )

http://www.angelahenry.com/

6 comments:

JB Lynn said...

I'm biased and terribly tacky, but I've got to say that I LOVE Godzilla (God for short) and Doomsday/DeeDee in my Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman series because they're SOOO much fun to write.

When I was a kid I thought Max, the bionic dog was cool...but then there was that terrible forest fire and.....uh-oh, I've gone and traumatized myself.....

Anne Marie Becker said...

Interesting post, Angela. Though he's a cartoon (and not a book character, necessarily), there's always Scooby Doo. :) I'm more of a cat-lover, and I find their finickiness fun. I've got a sarcastic sense of humor, and I imagine cats do, too - so I perk up when I read a cat in a book.

Rita said...

I love the poor bull dog in the new Sherlock Holmes movies. I don't read that many books with animals. I think i should read more.

Unknown said...

I love animals in mysteries. My own deranged pets have appeared in my books over the years. My favourite? Has to be Stephanie Plum's Rex the Hamster. :)

Cathy Perkins said...

I love my dogs and so far haven't written a pet into any of my stories... hmm, might have to change that in the future.

Alex Delaware (J Kellerman) has a French bulldog who's a source of comfort (and distress when his girlfriend leaves and takes the dog, too).

It's not a mystery, but one of my favorite books when I was a kid was My Friend Flicka. Did you know there was a sequel titled, Thunderhead?

Jean Harrington said...

Funny you should mention pets in books, Angela, because I've just written my daughter's Maltipooh (guess that's the spelling) into a brand new WIP. The dog's name is Charlotte, and she weighs 5 pounds. As for the name, guess the premise is the same as small car, big key. Small dog, big name. Anyway, I've had fun including the names of family members in my stories. So now that I'm starting on pets, sounds like we needs some weddings going on!

More Popular Posts