NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, July 29, 2013

Blindsided by Love

I don't know about you guys, but I've discovered the universe works in mysterious ways. My mother used to say, "Everything happens for a reason." I'm sure you've all heard that one. It's just hard sometimes when something really horrible happens and you have to make sense of it. Why must horrible things happen and how can we begin to make sense of it? Those are always the toughest questions. I try to think that I learn from everything that happens to me every day. Be it a good thing, bad thing or mundane thing. This may not seem like the perfect segue into my topic, but actually it's very apropos. I was talking about the universe working in mysterious ways. How a random minute in any given day can change your life. (Be it for the better or for the worse.)

Let me give you a personal for instance. Twenty-something years ago, I had sworn off men. (I was all of nineteen when I did this. LOL.) The guy I thought I loved didn't return the feelings so I jumped into a relationship with a guy who I knew liked me... But I didn't feel the same way about him. It soon became apparent that relationship wasn't going to work out either. The last thing I wanted was to get involved with another man when I was feeling so lousy about my recent choices. (You can bet there was a lot of self-doubt happening at that point too!)

As I'm becoming comfortable with my decision to take some time for myself and decide what I wanted in life, I met a guy at work. I didn't think too much about it. Although I'd heard his name from the grapevine, it didn't dawn on me until after he introduced himself that he was the one everyone had told me about. (I will confess to thinking he had a great ass as walked away from me, up a flight of stairs. I do love a nice ass on a man...but I digress...<G>)



A couple of weeks after that meeting, a big group of us from work decided to go dancing when we finished for the day. If I remember correctly, there were supposed to be a dozen of us going to a dance club/bar in Hollywood, not far from work. The guy I'd met a couple weeks before offered to take me since he knew the place. I didn't see a reason to decline so together we went to the club. Well, after about 45 minutes it looked like no one else was going to show, but instead of bailing, we decided to make the most of the night and ended up dancing our brains out for the next five or six hours. Seriously, it was about the most fun I'd ever had. We really hit it off. Later, he drove me back to my car and I went home. No kiss goodnight, just a wave and a smile, which was fine with me because it really hadn't been a date. A few days after that the same group of people decided to see a movie together and I ended up up sitting next to the same guy. Long story short, at the very end of the night when I thought all was lost and he really wasn't as in to me as I was into him, I decided enough was enough and called it a night. He walked me to my car, kissed me goodnight and the rest is history. I've been married to the guy for over 24 years.

My whole point is that I never saw it coming. I was in a place of not looking for anything and love found me. (Actually, Sean found me...but you get my point.) Some of the best things in life happen when we least expect them, including falling in love.

The same thing happens in my latest release, Against The Wall. Jess St. John has to pair up with an ex-con to save her family and the last thing she expects is to fall in love with the guy. Not only is she not looking for love, but it comes at the worst possible time in her life. Tanner, too, has no plans to fall in love. The only thing on his mind is a little bit of revenge combined with a whole lot of retribution. Running into Jess and falling for her was never in his plans, but her presence changes things. These are two people who never would've been together if circumstances hadn't made them a team. Everything happens for a reason.

What about you? Did you see it coming or are you still looking for love? Or maybe you knew exactly when the love bug bit you. I'd love to know!

15 comments:

A. Y. Stratton said...

The man who became my husband was in the same college class with my brother, and my brother was dating his sister. So we met casually several times. One night sparks flashed. He made me laugh. I made him laugh. A month later he called and said he was going to "a weird party and needed a weird date." I said, "I'd love to." (It was truly a weird party!) We were married three years later. He is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Dee J. said...

Hi A.Y.,
Aw... I love this story! My guy has always made me laugh too. I think it's a major component to a solid relationship. You've got me very curious as to what your weird party entailed. LOL.

Maureen A. Miller said...

Ahhh, romance. Love this tale, Dee. You are in the right profession. :) And congratulations on 24 wonderful years.

Lynne Marshall said...

He Dee J - it's funny who so many people seem to find love when they quit looking for it. The same thing happened to me. When I first met my future husband, I had given up on men for a lot longer than you had. It wasn't whamo-zamo either. Just a simple thought - "hmm, I feel like I know this guy." And - "I'd go out with him again"
A year later we were married.

Your book sounds a lot more exciting than our true life love stories! :)

A. Y. Stratton said...

How do I describe the weird party in Milwaukee, WI? Since I knew no one else there, and hardly knew my date, I was trying to be the perfect guest. In other words I was smiling and not talking. Very hard for me. Soon after our arrival, the groom-to-be sat on the glass-top coffee table and with a loud bang, crashed through it! All thirty of us gasped and waited to see how the guy was going to get out of the table without hurting himself in vital places. (He was fine.) Later at dinner we sat with "a New York model" and the biggest braggart I have ever met. The guy blabbed on, telling us we must contact him if we ever got to New York, so he could advise us where to eat, have champagne, etc. (I decided not to tell him I went to school in New York state.) When he told a dumb joke, I guess we didn't laugh enough, so the model began to explain it. I got the giggles. Couldn't stop. On the way home my cute date started laughing. "I told you it was going to be a weird party!"

Dee J. said...

Hi Maureen!

Have I told you I miss you terribly. To be honest, it's 24 married. We've actually been together for 28. Not a bad life.



Hi Lynne,
Thanks for your 3 tries! You know I love you! Yeah, sometimes love creeps up on you too. Love that just as much as being blindsided.



Hi A.Y.,
You came back to tell me your story!! How awesome is that! Sounds like a fun night to look back on once it was over. I imagine it's something you two look back on and still giggle about. Very cool.

Robena Grant said...

I think the most meaningful relationships happen when they're least expected. When you're out there on the hunt you make some really odd connections because you're looking for all the wrong things. ; )

Jana Richards said...

I can't say I was blindsided by love when I first met my husband. I pretty much saw it coming. But he on the other hand...
Best of luck with the new book!

Elise Warner said...

I had planned on finding a millionaire who would make me a star but then I met Bobby--I was studying dance with his roomate--and his devil's eyebrows and smile changed my plans.

Dee J. said...

Hi Robena,
That makes total sense! I never looked at it that way before. There's that element of wanting to make a connection, so maybe you do or say things that aren't really in character, whereas finding someone out of the blue would lend itself to more honesty, which is a great basis for a relationship!!


Hi Jana,
I love that you blindsided your husband! Very cool that you saw it coming with him. Thanks for stopping in!


Hi Elise,
Yes, I keep telling my daughter it's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is a poor man, but I'm just joking. I just want her to be happy. Money doesn't always = happy. Although I wouldn't mind if she found both. LOL.

Rita said...

LOVE IT! True love stories are the greatest.

Dee J. said...

Hi Rita,
Thanks. I like a good love story too. (Hopefully I write them. Haha.) Thanks for dropping in.

Janie Emaus said...

I knew it from the start! But now I can't remember what I knew. Only that it's still here.

Dee J. said...

Hi Janie,
Very cool. Did HE know? I always find it interesting how 1/2 of the couple absolutely knew and the other half was oblivious. Haha. Thanks for stopping in!

Tiara said...

Great!

More Popular Posts