NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, January 27, 2014

LOVE TO LAUGH?

I love books that make me laugh. If a writer can elicit a smile, chuckle or make me giggle out loud, I rate the book as a winner. Laughing makes me feel good. I like leaving a story with a smile on my face.

Writing humor, however, it is not an easy task. Those of us who write humorous novels must rely solely on the power of our words. Photos, actors and sound tracks are not available to bring our humor to life. We must craft the situations and reactions using just the right language and dialogue. Sometimes it works and other times (more often than not) the scene goes out the window.


I know I won’t always be able to make everyone laugh. After all, we each have a different idea of what’s funny. There are even people I refer to as "humor-challenged." So, I just have to go with what feels right. How do I use humor in my writing? I look for the humor in everyday life. People would rather laugh than cry when faced with difficult life experiences such as death, disease or hardship. I play off experiences I’ve had, nearly had, or have happened to a friend. Most importantly, I’m not afraid to laugh at myself. I find the best humor comes from within -- an honest, hair-brained moment I can share with others through the eyes of my fictional characters.


I filled my latest Lexi Carmichael mystery novel, No Place Like Rome, with lots of humorous situations. Lexi gets herself into the stickiest of situations and causes even more mayhem and chaos trying to get out of them. I know that if I can make myself laugh, that's half the battle.

Read more about NO PLACE LIKE ROME here.


Now the question is, how much do you love to laugh when reading?

8 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

I love to laugh! It's so much easier to read about heroes getting themselves out of sticky situations than to deal with my own. ;)

Anne Marie Becker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcelle Dubé said...

Julie, I love a funny novel! And you're right, writing humour is not easy. Fortunately, you seem to do it effortlessly.

Rita said...

I love a line that comes frum left field and and makes me laugh. It can relieve the tension even if it's for a moment.

J Wachowski said...

I love humor in any story--especially when there' a contrast to something serious. It brings the whole scene to life. Because that's how life is--at the oddest, hardest moments, humor helps.

Unknown said...

Julie, your humour seems so effortless and I love to laugh.

And yes, there are some people who are definitely humour-challenged. :)

Julie Moffett said...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I do love a good laugh, which is probably why I enjoy writing humor. :)

jean harrington said...

I agree, fun in novels is contagious. It spreads from writer to reader and is one disease I love to catch. And to try and write! Your post makes a good point, Julie. Thanks

More Popular Posts