NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, January 6, 2014

Reading, Reading and More Reading!


My name is Shelley Munro, and I am an avid romance reader.

In fact my love of reading and books started me on the path to becoming an author. Like many romance readers, I’m fast and read a lot of books each year.

A few years ago, I decided to keep a record of the books I read each year, and from 2007 I’ve kept an Excel spread sheet of the titles I’ve read. It’s interesting to look back to see which books I’ve read and how my reading tastes have changed. For example in 2013 I read a lot of contemporary romances, I started listening to audio books and flirted with a few new genres such as New Adult. I read more e-books than print books these days, and my number of audio reads is increasing rapidly.

Reading challenges are a fun way of challenging yourself to read more, either in genres you love or in new genres. You’ll find lots of different challenges on the web at this time of the year. Last year I participated in the Goodreads’ Reading Challenge where I recorded 103 books for the year. My target was 100 books. This year I’ve signed up for the same target and have already read a book or two from my to-read mountain.

I’m always interested to learn how other readers operate.

Do you keep track of the books you read? If so, how do you do it? Have you or are you participating in the Goodreads Reading challenge or any other reading challenges?


16 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

103 books last year?! Wow! I've always wanted to keep track, but it's just one of those things that I had to let slide when life got overwhelming. (Plus, it's a bit depressing that I don't have as much time to read anymore. I hope to rectify that in the new year!!) Great post! :)

J Wachowski said...

Holy cow, that's great! I wish you'd done a screen shot of the excel page too. Would love to see your list... :)

Alice Audrey said...

I also keep record of my reading in Excel spreadsheets. Sadly, things have changed a lot. When I first started I topped 200 titles a year. Now I'm doing good to read 50

Mary Kirkland said...

It's funny that you ask that question because when the end of December rolled around and I started seeing everyone else's lists for the books they'd read in the past year, started thinking of keeping track of my own reading list for this year. I've never done if before but all I did was start a blog post and make the publish date for the end of December of this year and started adding the books I'd read to the post.

Rita said...

I listen to 99% of my books. I let Audible keep track LOL! I good back and listen to those I really really like. It's inspirational for me.

Toni Anderson said...

I try and use Goodreads for this but I forget to add most of the books. *sigh* I also use it as a way to keep a note of research titles I borrow from the library LOL. The problem is I don't like the star system. Ah well. Well done on your spreadsheet :)

Wynter said...

Wow - that's a huge number! I've never tracked mine, but I can tell you, my number pales next to yours.

Shelley Munro said...

Anne Marie - I use a lot of public transport and while away the journey time reading. I also listen to audio books while I walk the dog, so that helps me squeeze in some reading time.

Shelley Munro said...

Hi J,

My spreadsheet is very basic. I have a column for the title, author, the genre, the format e.g. print/audio/ebook, whether it's an erotic romance or not (because I like to know the balance) and a column for what number book it is (i.e. 1st book read, 10th book read etc)

I also have a column where I write whether I liked the book or not and the last column is for notes. Is it a series or not? That sort of thing.

I've got into the habit of filling it out and seldom miss a book.

I keep every year in the same file and just open another sheet within the excel file.

Simple :)

Shelley Munro said...

Alice - I hear you. Reading takes a back seat to writing and family stuff.

Shelley Munro said...

Mary - a blog is a great idea for keeping a list. I hadn't thought of that.

Shelley Munro said...

Rita - I'm definitely listening to more books too. The reading experience is very different and as an author, I learn so much with each book I listen to.

Shelley Munro said...

Toni - getting into a routine is the main thing. I find my spreadsheet easier than relying on Goodreads. I miss the odd book on Goodreads.

Yeah, the star system can be a pain because you have to put a rating in before it registers the book as being read.

Shelley Munro said...

Wynter - I love to read, and as I said, I came to writing because of reading. I like to keep that up :)

Anonymous said...

I am not in a reading challenge, but I am keeping track through Goodreads.

Shelley Munro said...

Angie - Goodreads is helpful for keeping a record.

More Popular Posts