NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, September 8, 2014

What Are You, Crazy?

Did you ever see the old classic movie, Gaslight with Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten? It's one of my favorites. Even if you haven't, I'm sure you're familiar with the theme. A man marries a woman, then sets out gradually to make her believe she's crazy. In fact, this is where we get the term to gaslight someone, meaning to manipulate them by psychological means to question their sanity.

But sometimes a character questions his sanity without the help of any manipulation. Sometimes, circumstances are so strange that he or she is forced to call into question whether his or her own mind.

I've always wanted to mess with a character that way. Yeah, I admit it - I'm a bit of a sadists. But come on, what author isn't? We torture our heroes and heroines mercilessly at every turn!

In my latest release, Emerald Intrigue, out today, Natalie, a vintage clothing store owner is about to leave an estate sale where she's buying stock for her business when an elderly woman suggests she purchase a jewel-encrusted trinket box. A moment later, the woman has vanished into thin air.
Now most of us would find this weird, a little creepy maybe. But let's say that Natalie's mother used to hear voices. That when Natalie was a child, her mother killed herself and her husband, that she was mentally ill. And that Natalie has always wondered if that gene was inside her, waiting to steal her sanity.
Now, maybe circumstances are gaslighting Natalie. Maybe she really is imagining things. Or perhaps there's a side of supernatural served up with this suspense!


Emerald Intrigue is part of ENCHANTED BY AN EMERALD, a limited time, $.99 boxed set that traces a magical emerald through time.  


8 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

Ooooh, I love the idea of a series that traces an emerald through time. Wasn't the Red Violin kind of like that? I loved it!

As for gaslighting, I swear my children try to do that to me daily. ;)

Seriously, though, it's an intriguing concept and your heroine sounds ripe for such a story line!

Wynter said...

LOL - Too funny about your children!

I'd forgotten about The Red Violin. Yes - it did trace the violin and its owners. Difference here is the different and distinct genres. Great comparison, though - thanks for reminding me of that. It's been like a hundred years since I thought about that movie.

T. Elliott Brown said...

I love the movie "Gaslight" too. When I was younger it was really frightening to watch the actress begin to believe she was insane. And it was equally edge-of-my-seat to read about Natalie teetering on the edge. Good job!

Wynter said...

Thank you, T. I think when someone starts losing her grip on sanity, whether she really is or someone is gaslighting her, it's just as frightening!

Rita said...

Luv Gaslight. I believe there were a few copycat movies.
I recall several that had hubby trying to drive there wives crazy and kill them. Lovely.
Congrats on the release. Whatg a wonderful concept! Wishing you many sales.

J Wachowski said...

Gaslight is SUCH a classic. We throw that around here all the time.
"You tryin' to gaslight me?"
"Uhhh, no, mom. Not me." said with a sinister wide-eyed smile....

I am very excited about the .99 cent deal! Now I'm off to spend the change I found in the washing machine this morning. :)

Wynter said...

Thanks, Rita - I appreciate that. I believe you're right about the copycats.

Wynter said...

Why thanks, Julie! Apparently there are many families with kids trying to gaslight their parents! Who knew??

More Popular Posts