NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Friday, October 31, 2014

10 Things I Love about Halloween

I’m not sure what Halloween is like in other parts of the world, but here in rural Ohio, it’s amazing. The views are spectacular, falling leaves, brilliantly colored forests, country roads lined in hay bales and scarecrows spinning in corn fields. The crows are out. Pumpkins line fences. The whole things is gorgeous and then there are the ghosts. Ohio has oh, so many haunted asylums, prisons, homes and grave yards. Hey, Ohio’s also a great place to be a specter!

Here are a few other things I love about Halloween:

10. Pumpkin picking. I love going to the pumpkin farms and riding out into the fields on a tractor. I love choosing the perfect pumpkins and hauling them home.

  2012-10-21_12-02-16_891 

9. Displays. I love busting out my inner nerd. I'm rarely crafty, but on Halloween, I can make some serious cosplay.
1380744_10153394740330725_341169187_n
8. Decorating. Granted, my decorating has been more PreK than Rated R for horror these past few years, but I love the decorating.

 decoration 
  7. Pumpkin EVERYTHING! Pumpkin bread, pumpkin rolls, cookies, desserts Pumpkin lattes. omg the pumpkin lattes *dead*
IMG_20130930_093150
6. School parties. It's the one day a year I can score points on those Olympic caliber PTA moms. I have Pinterest on my side, after all.

 2012-10-26_08-19-50_830 

  5. Candy! I love giving other people's kids candy. It's the mean spirit in me. I will empty bags of sugar into other people's kids' bags. Take! Eat! Freak out your mama!

  2012-10-27_13-11-48_901 

  4. Boo Berry, Frankenberry & Count Chocula. What? You were thinking it too.

  monster-cereal-count-chocula-franken-berry-boo-berry 

  3. Scary Movie Marathons. Need I say more? Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elmstreet, Anything Hitchcock, Chucky....OK, that's a lie. I'm afraid of my shadow. I marathon Supernatural all day and ogle the Winchesters.

 10525658_10152120155636044_8011492579430316549_n 
  2. Pumpkin Carving: This is not my pumpkin. Mine have three triangles for eyes+nose and a weird hole/teeth/fail mouth. I love the tradition of carving though and the yummy baked pumpkin seeds that come after. This pic is from scaryforkids
 pumpkin-carving 

  1. Dress up for Mama. Hey, the kids aren't the only ones who can rock a cosplay.
IMG_20140627_182325
So, how'd I do? What goes on your top 10 list for Halloween traditions? (I left out haunted houses because I've only made it through one and that was in college, at Cedar Point. I buried my face in my date's back and didn't look up until I saw daylight again. -- YES. I went in the daytime. Like the scardey baby that I am.)

4 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

LOL. I don't enjoy haunted houses, either. Love the pics, Julie! Looks like you make the holiday lots of fun for your kids. I confess, I'm not big on dressing up anymore (or, hey! Maybe I could go as a yoga instructor in my yoga pants and T-shirt? LOL)... Happy Halloween!!

Elise Warner said...

Love the photos, Julie. Would like to be a kid for a day and have a slice of your pumpkin pie. Used to celebrate Halloween on my cousin's birthday Oct. 26 by dunking for apples with pennies hidden in them.

Marcelle Dubé said...

Love the pictures, Julie -- especially the pumpkin that looks like the Grinch!

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I *detest* anything and everything pumpkin...

J Wachowski said...

Nice list!
I loooove dress up too. We got to wear costumes to work today. I wore a pink feather boa & a tiara. I was....wait for it.... Barbara Cartland! ��

More Popular Posts